26 July 2007

 

48 hours in Shanghai

We spent the first evening in Shanghai on hyperdrive, got here and dashed out to the Bund, via taxi, to get a good look at “new city” or Pudong. That is one of those world recognized skylines... and I must say it is pretty impressive. I have already posted the panoramic that Jeff took, and the picture of my fans. We were taken back with the heat and humidity. WOW! The entire trip has been, hot, but we did acclimate to the climate. We were not ready for the temps in Shanghai. Boy is it hot. So after a stroll along the promenade that is the Bund, we stopped for a bite to eat, then returned to the hotel to take in the view from our room. They upgraded us (and we didn’t even ask)... I think that they are overbooked, and we got lucky. Check out the photos, the entire wall of the room is floor to ceiling windows, with a view of the Bund on the Huangpu River. One of the most astounding vistas we have ever had from a room and I know we have had some truly beautiful views throughout the years we have traveled. Unfortunately, although it thankfully is not obvious, the river is like much of the air in the cities of China, polluted. Everywhere we have been there has been a haze of industrial smog. I guess that is just one parcel of the dichotomy that that calls itself China. We took a taxi back, and I sat face to face with a video player, it was showing an interactive animation about some couple (it was all Chinese).. I kept choosing the wrong answer because the character keep crying... finally I got it right and the smiled, and the show was over. I like the entertainment soooo much I took a picture. Oh what a tourist I can be. The next day (Thursday 26 July) we stared out early, but got sidetracked by breakfast. We were expecting to grab a bit, some fruit, yogurt, and of course the ubiquitous DIET COKE (AKA Coca Cola Light)... it cost us over seven dollars here (but we ran to a supermarket to buy 8 cans for less than three bucks) Anyway, for a change I digress... breakfast. The buffet was five separate areas. It had an area for Japanese foods, Malaysian foods, Chinese foods, a variety of Shanghai steamed dumplings, a juice bar, salad bar, noodle bar, and good ole American eggs, muffins, and meats. We just didn’t know what to eat first.... so we got a later start than we really wanted. PS. I had a giant sized baby arugula salad, dressed with a garlic miso. Then went for an assortment of Shanghai dumplings, and finally some Vietnamese Mellon, a favorite I have had in other travels, and Jeff had fruit and yogurt ; - ) We then took the Tourist Tunnel, a kitsch Shanghai experience (once only please) with flashing lights, lasers and narration... it was like a flashback to a college light show as you pass through a tunnel. We got a few chuckles. We walked the Bund for daytime pics, checked out the now defunct Peace Hotel, and walked onward thru the city to Peoples Park, and the Shanghai Museum. The museum is the best museum in China. The two of us have admired the Bronze work from the Tang and Qing Dynasties wherever we have seen them. They are used as ceremonial and sacrificial pieces, tools, and vessels for drinking and storing wine and other liquids. Possession of these pieces determined rank and privilege. Jeff has liked the more rounded and I the rectangular ones. We also saw lots of jade, furniture and clothing.
Additionally, it was a pleasant respite from the heat of the afternoon. Onward... to the Museum of Urban Planning where we caught a glimpse of the future of Shanghai. This city has been, and will continue to be transformed into a thoroughly modern city. As we walk among the buildings in the Pudong (new) section we are astounded by the diversity of the architecture. New York is of course New York, but here each building has a space surrounding it. That gives each one a dignity and grandeur that is lacking in the NY skyline. The juxtaposition of gleaming steel exteriors, glass, giant angular slabs intersecting with each other to form massive structures, monoliths indeed... and the omnipresent cranes! For dinner we went local a Szechuan place. We pointed to the food that looked good at other tables, and ended up with a large fish stew, a spicy chicken dish, and rice. We asked for spicy, and got it. Yum! At one point the language barrier frustrated the server so greatly that as she tried to express her concern over the amount of fish we had ordered ... she just went back into the kitchen and brought out our fish in a large basket to show it to us.... we guaranteed her that we would eat it all.... and we did. The restaurant was called Yuxiang kitchen . Today we got up early to beat the crowds (and the group tours too) and went to Yu Gardens, beautiful structures, ponds, waterfalls, and carefully chosen plantings.



When we arrived we had the place almost to ourselves... when we left we couldn’t believe the throngs of people... a completely different experience. From there we walked around the bazaar and checked out the prices on various wares being offered for sale. Then to a dinner like restaurant, with Formica tops, in shades of lime green and orange... and ordered from pictures (and pointing again) a delicious meal of some very tasty green veggie... it had some time green berrylike structures on it... it was excellent ! If I see it in the states, I am going to buy it... in fact; I hope I see it in my Asian supply place in Wappingers. We also had a spicy beef with green chilies, and a rice noodle dish. Can you tell we like to eat? Tonight we have tickets to a Shanghai acrobatic show at the Shanghai Center Theatre. They are well known for their acrobatic performance, and I’m looking forward to it. Later... xox h

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?