14 July 2007
Day 1
SO where do I start? We got here checked into the hotel.... very nice
place, a bit lower floor than we would ideally like, but then this is not a NY skyscraper... in fact this entire city seems pretty short
(no height joke CCC) you look up and mostly see sky , well fog, smog, and today clouds.... most structures max out around 5... Some (few) hotels and other businesses go to 14 or 15 stories.... anyway I digress (of course).... checked the email and got great pics of Maui and his cousin CeeCee. We thought that we would go look around and see what we could see. I had picked the hotel because of its proximity to a few landmarks. I thought, as jet lagged day one kind of guys, we would just roam.
Off we set and one of the first things we see... street food vendors YUM! Some of my favorite things.... we checked it out and thought what a great place, gee but we just are not hungry... we’ll stop on the way back.
Continued walking and reached the Forbidden city. WOW... but it was late in the day, so 2morrow. But, while I was there a family (ethnic Chinese... nationals, but tourists themselves) where sooooo happy to see me, and found me so interesting that they asked if they could take their son’s picture with me in front of the Forbidden Palace...
I, flattered, said yes...
On the way back we really checked out the food stalls....
They were selling all kinds of things. I am a pretty good eater, and so is
Jeff, and we did eat some quite delicious food.... dumplings, very spicy noodles, Hunan fried tofu. BUT if you check out the pics.... they were cooking and SELLING, and people were eating some real oddities.... like centipede on a stick, or roasted grasshopper, BBQ’ed deer, scorpions with sauce, and to me it looked like cicada, but I am not sure. And a personal favorite
pan seared starfish (see the pic that looks like cut up earthworms) I am not that adventureous, well, not just yet. Here check out the pic’s.... The night seemed to go on....
more alleys, more food stalls, more things for sale.... in fact jeff and i have already been approached by a few “ladies”....
hummmmmm Guess all us Caucasians look
alike....straight !
Love ya, h !
place, a bit lower floor than we would ideally like, but then this is not a NY skyscraper... in fact this entire city seems pretty short
(no height joke CCC) you look up and mostly see sky , well fog, smog, and today clouds.... most structures max out around 5... Some (few) hotels and other businesses go to 14 or 15 stories.... anyway I digress (of course).... checked the email and got great pics of Maui and his cousin CeeCee. We thought that we would go look around and see what we could see. I had picked the hotel because of its proximity to a few landmarks. I thought, as jet lagged day one kind of guys, we would just roam.Off we set and one of the first things we see... street food vendors YUM! Some of my favorite things.... we checked it out and thought what a great place, gee but we just are not hungry... we’ll stop on the way back.
Continued walking and reached the Forbidden city. WOW... but it was late in the day, so 2morrow. But, while I was there a family (ethnic Chinese... nationals, but tourists themselves) where sooooo happy to see me, and found me so interesting that they asked if they could take their son’s picture with me in front of the Forbidden Palace...
I, flattered, said yes...On the way back we really checked out the food stalls....
They were selling all kinds of things. I am a pretty good eater, and so is
Jeff, and we did eat some quite delicious food.... dumplings, very spicy noodles, Hunan fried tofu. BUT if you check out the pics.... they were cooking and SELLING, and people were eating some real oddities.... like centipede on a stick, or roasted grasshopper, BBQ’ed deer, scorpions with sauce, and to me it looked like cicada, but I am not sure. And a personal favorite
pan seared starfish (see the pic that looks like cut up earthworms) I am not that adventureous, well, not just yet. Here check out the pic’s.... The night seemed to go on....
more alleys, more food stalls, more things for sale.... in fact jeff and i have already been approached by a few “ladies”....
hummmmmm Guess all us Caucasians look
alike....straight !Love ya, h !