24 December 2007

 

Monday Morning...

It is 6 AM Xmas eve morning here, that means it is 6 PM Sunday to you all.
JK is sleeping, I woke up early b/c I am on NY time
We are having a great time, last night we strolled down the riverfront area, a bustling, hectic, frenetic, crazy, crowded, (did I make the point) thoroughfare... bikes, tuk tuks, cars, mopeds, cafe tables spilling into the streets, filled with people, people, and even the occasional elephant.

Only certain streets, or portions of streets, have lights so just ten steps away and you are truly off the beaten path, and in pitch darkness. Last night we were cautious (5 parts jet lag + 1 part NY street smart = cautious us) so we stayed in the lighted areas only. Today we will explore!
We are finding the people of Cambodia friendly; it is too bad they have had such a long history of horrific oppression and political abuse. It seems hot here, but not like china where it was well over 100 degrees... it is in the low 90's... an OK temperature.

We have begun (and plan to continue) eating up a storm...what else is new. We like Asian food, and Thai food is one of our favorites... the traditional Cambodian food (called Khmer cuisine) is not as spicy, but still uses many of the same ingredients... soooo we have plans for lots of ethnic Cambodian, Thai, and Indian food. Last night I had amok pork (not pork run amok) in banana, a pork version of the very traditional Amok with fish.

PS that recipe is from Frizz, the place I was supposed to have a cooking class. But as first days, spell that DAZE... as we always are the first day, go we could not find it last night. And w/o that prior confirmation... no class... c'est la vie.

(Update... we found it today... 1 ½ blocks away... same street... not even a missed turn... dumb tourists!)

For breakfast I had Congee and crullers with an incredibly sweet drink that came with it... they called it milk with syrup... interpret it to mean a “very heavy on the strawberry syrup,” ice and some milk.

Now its off to the sites. xox h


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?