21 December 2008

 

An unexpected visit to Tokyo


OK... so this is how it happened. Everything was right on schedule... just the way I described it in the last entry. We had fun in the lounge, boarded the plan hassle free, and then after we pulled out of the gate for an on time departure, it happened. They were plowing or deicing the runway, so we sat and waited for close to two hours. Believe me when I tell you I am ALL about safe travel, so I don’t mind in the least, however, that caused us to miss our connecting flight in Tokyo for Saigon. I will admit to being anxious, thinking that we might make it… but not a chance. We were landing as that flight was taking off. Then, almost a Christmas miracle, JAL airlines was there to help. They had a board with our names upon it and gave us a hotel, dinner, and breakfast voucher. They handed us our next morning flight boarding passes. Wow! I can just imagine what a different story I would be telling if the “missed flight” been on an American carrier, nothing like this I am sure.

Anyway we took the shuttle to the hotel, had chilled sake, miso soup, tempera veggies, salad, dikon radish, and steak teriyaki. Jeff of course had to pay 600 ¥ (about six bucks) for his diet Coke. Overall, it was a good experience.

We did manage to have some photo fun, Jeff in the plane took the picture above as we flew over the tundra of Alaska (I of course slept.) The toilet in the hotel amused me, I am not a newbie to travel, but I have never seen a toilet with options, complete with an instruction guide and warnings on proper use. Going to breakfast now, will write more later. The airport is a super-sized mall, so I am sure we will not be bored. xox

Comments:
Oooh, sounds like a fun little unexpected stop then :) Amazing picture from the plane!
 
Glad you called me and glad you had a successful flight. I am also glad my daughter posted a comment so I know she is alive and well after her 26th birthday....I was there I do remember. xoxojj
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?