01 July 2009

 
Dinner tonight was at a very traditional Ecuadorian restaurant. La Ronda. Well the decor, roving bands of singers, and menu was... it was filled with a sixty forty split... more tourists than locals.... so to me that's not exactly local. But it did come highly recommended and we did enjoy it. I had my already favorite, b/c I have had it a few times, Ecuadorian potato soup with avocado. Its a mildly seasoned potato soup, very simple and very yummy. My entree was, well I don't know weather to call it a salad a dry stew or ??? It is roasted corn kernels, big super sized soaked white maze, sliced avocado, tomato and roasted pig parts (which parts?) It is served with a thin sauce or chutney which is highly seasoned. It was delious... Jeff had a steak.
...
It struck us as odd that the hotel suggested we take a taxi, after all the restaurant was only five blocks away. We acquiesced but were puzzled. We later checked out tour books and online.... apparently this is not a really safe city after dark. Our favorite tour book Lonely Planet even said "take a taxi, even if it is only one block!" It just doesn't strike me as that bad.

My ranking of the worlds most unsafe cities:

  1. Johannesburg South Africa
  2. Rio de Janeiro Brazil
  3. Harare Zimbabwe
  4. Hopewell Junction NY
  5. and I now add Quito Ecuador

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?